One of my very favorite kitchen gadgets is my Vitamix. I have had it for about 2 and a half years. I use it basically every single day for a morning green smoothie. If you are on the fence about getting one, do it. But I do recommend trying to buy one of the certified refurbished machines as they are cheaper and also have a great warranty.
Other than my daily smoothie, I love using the Vitamix for making soups & sauces, grating Parmesan cheese, and making frozen drinks.
I have the full size model with the short(er) and squat container. I do not yet have any of the grains containers or any of the other than standard containers, but maybe one day I will make the jump.
Recently, I made a SUPER EASY version of roasted red pepper soup in the Vitamix.
The original recipe is from the hardbound recipe book that came with the machine, “Create”. I changed things up a little bit mostly by replacing the half and half with fat free half and half.
First things first! Gather up some of the ingredients. I got this HUGE jar of roasted peppers – red AND yellow (hence the ? in the title) from Costco for a great price. We have made a few batches of this soup and still have some more peppers left. The minced garlic is also from Costco. It’s a really good deal. It lasts for a while and I think it works really well for most cooking.
One of the first steps is to cut up some celery and onion. I used about half an onion and about 4-5 ribs of celery.
Then you cook these ingredients up in a skillet and add some garlic.
After cooking them up, you add everything to the Vitamix container.
It doesn’t look all that pretty until you get it spinning. Then it comes out to be such a pretty orange with the red and yellow peppers in there.
Then you just let this thing spin, on speed 10, until it gets so hot its steaming. It really doesn’t take all that long. The first time I maybe overdid it a bit and it was SO HOT, I couldn’t even eat it for a good while. I still think its pretty freaking cool that you can COOK things in a blender.
Roasted Red Pepper Soup [adapted from “Create” Vitamix Cookbook]
Makes about 4 (1 cup) servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (or 1 tsp of the pre-minced stuff I used)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces of jarred roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup fat-free half and half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 dashes cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicy)
- In a skillet, heat olive oil, add celery and onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir, continue cooking for another minute.
- Stir in flour, cook for 30-60 seconds until very lightly browned.
- Place cooked vegetable mixture, roasted peppers, chicken broth, half and half, salt, and pepper into Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Start low on speed 1 and increase to speed 10.
- Blend for 6-7 minutes or until steam escapes from the vented lid plug.