While this recipe is not an Instant Pot recipe, I use the Instant Pot to make the rice/quinoa that we eat with it. This is a recipe even my toddler will eat! And she can, because (unfortunately) this does not actually have any bourbon in it. But, after dinner, and bath time, and bed time – you can treat yourself to the good stuff.
We finally figured out (after much experimentation) the best ratios for us to make quinoa in the Instant Pot. We use 1 cup quinoa to 1.5 cup liquid. I usually use chicken broth for the liquid. I cook on high pressure for 1 minute. That’s right, 1 minute. However, it does take a few minutes to get to temp and the kicker is you have to let it naturally release (which takes about 15-20 minutes). The good thing is, that’t about how long it takes to make the bourbon chicken and basically once you turn it on, you don’t have to do anything with it except wait. When I make quinoa for bourbon chicken, I double the recipe below (I use 2 cups quinoa/ 3 cups liquid) so that I can have leftovers for the next meal or to take to work for lunches.
For the chicken, you need to thaw your chicken breasts and cut into bite-size chunks. Brown ’em up in a pan and then make the sauce and let’em simmer a bit. Easy. After you’ve done it once or twice, you can have the whole thing done in about 30 minutes – much of that time is unattended.
This recipe makes great leftovers and meal prep. I love taking this for lunches because it reheats in the microwave really well.
Instant Pot Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa (I get the big bag from Costco – nothing fancy)
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- Put the dry quinoa in the Instant Pot with the broth. Close the lid and set to high pressure for 1 minute.
- When the cooking time completes, turn OFF/cancel the “keep warm” function and let the pressure naturally drop (about 15-20 mins). Once pressure releases, open pot and fluff quinoa with a fork. It’s done!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, thawed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or use the pre-minced jarred stuff – I get from Costco)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup apple juice (get the kids juice boxes for less waste)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp cornstarch
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
- While chicken is browning (and quinoa is in Instant Pot) combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until cornstarch isn’t lumpy.
- Add liquid to browned chicken until comes to a hard boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes uncovered until the sauce thickens a bit and reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve over quinoa as above.
Try this recipe and let me know what you think!