Want an easy weeknight dinner that is delicious with very little effort? This is for you! The hardest thing to do is to remember to thaw the chicken breasts the day before so they are ready to go.
In this recipe the chicken is baked, not fried, hence, “Skinny”. And, since LV wouldn’t eat anything that was called “Parmesan” we call it “pizza chicken” around here because, while “chicken Parmesan” is “yuck,” “pizza chicken” “it’s good”.
Chicken Parmesan aka “Pizza Chicken”
- Cooking spray
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded out a little to make them all the same thickness
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bread crumbs, Panko style
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; grated
- ~1 tsp garlic powder*
- ~1 tsp onion powder*
- ~1 tsp basil*
- ~1 tsp oregano*
- ~ 1 tsp dried parsley*
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- ~8 tbsp part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Use convection setting if you have it. If you have a cooling rack that fits on your baking sheet that is oven safe, spray the rack with cooking spray and place it on the baking sheet (the idea is to get the bottom of the chicken breast off the pan so the air can circulate under them and get them crispy on both sides, not just the top.)
- Pound out the chicken breasts slightly so that they are all about the same thickness. Season with salt.
- In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan and all the spices. I have * by the spices because I usually just wing it with whatever I have on hand. Literally, I give LV (she’s a 2 1/2 yo) a teaspoon and have her add the spices – so obvi, there is nothing that is actually measured correctly.
- Mix oil and melted butter in small bowl. Use a kitchen “paint brush” to coat the chicken on both sides with oil/butter mixture. (LV likes to do this part as well, I hold the chicken, she “paints” it).
- Dredge the chicken breasts in the bread/spice mixture on both sides, making sure its well coated. Place on rack/pan. Repeat with all 4 breasts. Spray tops of chicken with cooking oil and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes, until cooked through.
- While they are cooking, take a 9 x 13 dish and spray with cooking spray. Dump the jar of sauce in there. During the last 5-10 mins of cooking, put the baking dish in the oven with the chicken to start heating the sauce.
- When the chicken is done (cooked through to 165 internally), remove from pan and put all 4 in the 9 x 13 with the sauce. Top each piece with about 2 tbsp of mozzarella cheese and stick it back in the oven for a couple minutes.
- Once the cheese is melted, its done! Serve hot.